Monday, September 5, 2011

Pike fish in the toaster oven

I was at haymarket last week and found some pike fish in the store where I usually buy tuna and salmon. Here's a video of how I prepared it:

The reason I chose the pike fish steak was because it looked very fresh and I had never tried it before. The tuna looked good too but I had that the previous week. In this video, I marinated it quickly with soy sauce, Frank's hot sauce, and some black pepper. It was simple because I wanted to taste the fish and adding more seasoning would just overpower the delicate flavor of the fish, I assumed. It was the first time I had ever cooked pike. Then, I chopped up some mushrooms, basil leaves, and chili peppers to create a "bed" for the fish on the toaster oven tray.

Cooking process:
I put it in the toaster oven for 8 minutes using the bake function at 350F. Then, I flipped it over and broiled it for another 8 minutes at 350F. However, when I took it out, the fish was still a little raw on the inside. So, I put it back in the toaster oven for 5 more minutes on the broil function. After that, the fish was perfectly done. So, the total cooking time was 21 minutes. Perhaps 10 to 11 minutes on each side would be the formula for cooking this fish.

How did it taste?
This fish is a flaky white fish and has a delicate flavor. The soy sauce enhances the flavor a bit. It's very tender when cooked like this and the mushrooms were also done nicely. However, I might not prepare the mushrooms in the same way next time. They would probably be better if they were sauteed in a frying pan with the peppers and basil leaves in some olive oil and soy sauce.

If anyone has any other ideas of what to make in the toaster oven, please leave a comment!

2 comments:

  1. You might want to cook at 400F instead of 350F for fish. You can also try to wrap in foil with some herbs along with some olive oil and soy sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Misterjin! The wrapping with herbs idea is good and parchment paper (instead of foil) works nicely too.

    ReplyDelete